Benefits of Annual HVAC System Maintenance
What can you expect from your newly tuned-up HVAC system? Is the cost of maintenance really worth it? You should consider that some benefits of regular maintenance are immediate while others prevent future problems from developing. Some of the most prominent benefits include:
- Lower energy bills
- Fewer repairs
- Lower chance of a catastrophic breakdown (system replacement)
- Longer equipment life
- Safer equipment operation
Maintenance Tasks You Can Do Yourself
Plan to schedule annual HVAC system maintenance once in the spring for your cooling equipment and again in the fall for your heating system. If you have a heat pump, the combined heating/cooling system should receive maintenance twice a year.
Plan to perform a few maintenance tasks of your own between these formal visits. The following DIY tasks help keep your equipment running smoothly until the next professional visit:
- Change your HVAC filters every month. Some units have an indicator light that tells you when the filter is beginning to become clogged and blocking airflow.
- Remove debris from around the outdoor unit.
- Hose down the outdoor unit when dirt begins to accumulate on it.
- Trim back foliage to at least 18 inches from the outdoor unit.
- Keep supply and return registers unblocked by drapes, rugs or furniture.
Maintenance You Should Leave to the Pros
Many homeowners wonder why they can’t just complete an entire tune-up themselves. The fact is a thorough tune-up requires skills, tools and knowledge that only experienced HVAC technicians can deliver. Here’s what to expect when you call in the pros to perform annual HVAC system maintenance:
- Check the thermostat
- Tighten electrical connections
- Lubricate all moving parts
- Inspect the condensate drain
- Check system controls
- Clean and adjust the blower
- Clean the condenser coils (cooling specific)
- Check refrigerant charge (cooling specific)
- Check fuel line connections (heating specific)
- Inspect the gas pressure, burner combustion and heat exchanger (heating specific)
An important part of preventative maintenance is hiring a contractor with the right skills and experience for the job. Mel’s Heat & Air Inc. has over 25 years of experience serving the Stanislaus County area with superior HVAC services ranging from installation to maintenance to emergency repair.
Now that you understand the importance of preventative maintenance, we encourage you to join Mel’s Club, an exclusive membership program that offers all the benefits of annual precision furnace and air conditioning tune-ups plus the following:
- Repair discounts
- Priority scheduling
- No after-hour or holiday fees
- Complimentary water heater flush
- One-year extended guarantee
- Exclusive product savings
- Entries into giveaways throughout the year
Clearly, annual HVAC system maintenance is something you should take very seriously. Whether your goal is to save money, protect your family, improve efficiency or prevent a mid-season breakdown, annual maintenance can help you accomplish your goals. Contact us today to work with a company that’s dedicated to ensuring your complete satisfaction.
CALL US TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT